- Protein powder and shakes Malaysia: What is a protein shake?
- How can protein powder and shakes benefit you?
Highly popularised by sports enthusiast, body
Protein powders come in various forms, the three most common ones include:
- Whey protein— most commonly used, because it’s a water-soluble milk protein that is also a complete protein, so it has all nine of the amino acids necessary for human dietary needs
- Soy protein — people who are vegan may prefer soy protein, although its taste is sometimes considered to be more unpleasant and it doesn’t dissolve as well in water, it is the more easily digested by our body system and with added soy nutrients (best choice for weight loss)
- Casein protein — a slow digesting protein with very low lactose level that provides a steady stream of amino acids to your muscles (up to 7 hours), it also has a naturally high glutamine content and so is one of the best proteins for preventing muscle breakdown (best choice for body building)
In specific circumstances, protein powders can actually be useful and beneficial to us. For example, in our morning rush to our work place, in order to get the sufficient nutrient and energy boost, protein is a very good option as they’re
Besides that, protein powder and shakes makers nowadays also make their products an almost complete meal replacement with added vitamins and minerals. The recommended daily protein consumption is:
- 50g per day for women
- 65g per day for men
Do keep in mind that eating too much protein can also be a problem as it puts excess pressure on your kidneys and increases the amount of calcium excreted in the urine, in which will risk bone health in the long-term.
So, do keep in mind to always practice moderation when consuming protein. Build your diet with a base of solid foods and use protein powder as a — you guessed it — supplement when it’s healthy and convenient. Compliment your diet with suitable Vitamins and do exercises and outdoor sports.