Samsung Galaxy Alpha – Next Generation Smartphone Makes Historic Breakthrough in Malaysian Market
Samsung Galaxy Alpha is a next generation Smartphone model released by South Korean consumer electronics manufacturing company – Samsung Electronics. It has been developed as a continuation of its immensely popular & successful Galaxy series and bears resemblance to its preceding models including Samsung Galaxy S5. It made its debut on 13th August 2014 with a worldwide release in September 2014.
It is an extremely remarkable piece of technology that promises a smart future that encompasses speed, connectivity, performance for its consumers. Samsung Galaxy Alpha is remarkably the first Samsung made Smartphone model to incorporate a next generation 20 nanometer manufacturing processed system on chip.
- Samsung Galaxy Alpha features a multi touch 4.7 inch Super AMOLED capacitive touch screen display with a screen resolution of 1280 × 720 pixels having a pixel density of 312ppi & 16M color fidelity.
- It is powered by an 1860mAh Lithium ion battery which has a stand by time of 350 hours, talk time of 11 hours for 3G connection and music play time of 37 hours.
- It has been provided over 2GB of RAM in addition to a 32GB internal SD memory which cannot be further expanded.
- This Smartphone also features a 12MP primary camera which has a picture resolution of 4608 × 2592 pixels. It has been provided with all standard camera features including LED flash, touch focus, auto focus, face & smile detection, geo tagging, panorama & HDR etc. It can also capture video in 2160p at a frame rate of 30 frames per second or in 1080p at 60 frames per second or in 720p at 120 frames per second. It also offers a 2.1MP secondary VGA front camera with inbuilt "back illumination sensor" technology for video calling etc, and can capture video at 1080p at 30 frames per second.
- It operates on the latest open source Android platform – Android OS version 4.4.4 Kit Kat. It has a frame size of 5.21 inches (5.21 × 2.58 × 0.26 inches dimensions) and approximately weighs 115g.
- It works on an Exynos 5 Octa 5430 core processor combination consisting of a 1.8GHz A15 quad core & 1.3GHz Cortex A7 quad core processor chips along with an ARM Mali T628MP6 GPU unit. An alternate US version system on chip configuration offers a Qualcomm Snap dragon 801 processor chip in combination with an Adreno 330 GPU unit.
- Other standard features include A2DP, LE & EDR Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, micro USB port 2.0, A-GPS & GLONASS support, inbuilt Java MIDP Emulator, Wi-Fi Hotspot connectivity, 3.5mm Audio output jack, etc. It also has inbuilt support for various networks including GRPS, EDGE, SPEED, WLAN and NFC networks.
- Samsung Galaxy Alpha has been provided with the latest sensor technologies including fingerprint scanner, gyro meter, compass, accelerometer, heart rate & proximity sensors.
Samsung Galaxy Alpha is speculated to compete with other similar high end smart phones including Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, LG G3 and Apple iPhone 6, HTC One, Xiaomi Mi 4 etc.
Pros & Cons
Samsung Galaxy Alpha has a beautiful design with a metallic framework despite its significant weight reduction compared to that of its preceding models. Its 5.2 inch frame size allows the user to have a perfect grip over the Smartphone (perfectly fits in the palm) thus making it far more comfortable to operate it with a single hand. Its quad core processor works like a monster and promises lightning fast screen transitions, premium quality game graphics and high multi tasking without significant system crashes or glitches etc. Its 12MP primary camera also promises a great photographic experience for the user with its 4K picture resolution & HDR video recording.
However, Samsung Galaxy Alpha does not have an expandable external SD memory slot which is quite common in many other competing high end Smartphone models. It also lacks water resistant coating in addition to its inadequate battery life. It is also very expensive compared to other smart phones with similar configurations.