Blazers are definitely a piece of clothing that is needed in everyone’s closet as it can not only ‘formalise’ but also ‘professionalize’ other clothing pieces of yours in an instant when paired accordingly. Learn how by clicking here.
- Price (ascending)
- Price (descending)
Blazers are a lightweight type jacket, that are typically solid-coloured and are used as part of a uniform by members of a club, sports team, or school. However, modern fashion has taken a great liking to blazers and has redefined the use of blazers. It is now no longer just a typically dark blue plain jacket, multi-coloured, floral, pastel-coloured, checkered, plaids, there’s even the chiffon blazers for women.
Fashion trend has created many versions of blazers and turn it into a more versatile clothing piece. As it is now widely-considered to be appropriate for formal or semiformal occasions, blazer culture has successfully evolved from its solid coloured jacket with gold or silver metal buttons, patch pockets and a softer construction to the 19th century British royal navy uniforms that closely resembled today’s blazer to the current leaner cut blazers.
Blazers are usually worn with dress pants, a crisp white shirt and a tie for the gentlemen; or with a formal pencil skirt or tailored pants, minimal accessories for the ladies. More for formal occasions and worn by people of stature or status or as representative of an organization. However, blazers nowadays can be dressed down and worn with jeans or dresses too! So how can you creatively style your outfit with your blazer? Just follow these few tips.
Tips for the ladies
- Get the right fit — know your body size measurements like the shoulders, bust and of course the torso. The shoulder seam of the blazer should hit right about where your own shoulder ends. If it falls closer to your neck, then it is one or half sizes too small. If it juts out over where your shoulder begins to slope downward, it is one or half size too big. A blazer that fits properly in the bust will cover about half of each breast (measured from vertical outside working in toward the navel) and skim over the covered area without bunching or wrinkling. Ideally, it should fit beautifully both buttoned and unbuttoned. However, a blazer that fits great buttoned but looks weird unbuttoned won’t be as bad just not as versatile. In general, you want a blazer to follow the natural curves of your body without pulling or sagging. If you’ve got excess fabric around your midsection, the blazer is too big in the torso.
- Blazer for skirts and pants — When wearing a skirt and top, a relatively shorter blazer would be a better fit. When wearing pants and a top, a longer blazer will make the overall proportion more balanced.
Tips for the gentlemen
- Don’t try break up a suit — yes, a suit jacket can now be used as a blazer but only if the suit jacket can stand by its own. Furthermore, if you have only one suit set, especially when it is a matching pair set. It is more valuable when worn together, so don’t sacrifice your set of working suit. Get a blazer by its own, it will not only fit better but also more versatile.
- Should be shorter in the body — the traditional rule of thumb (literally) says that the hem of your jacket should hit around the thumb knuckle, the one between the end of your thumb and where the joint meets the palm. Your blazer should, like a good lawyer, cover your ass, but it shouldn’t be overly long either.
- Calvin Klein: The iconic CK logo is so well-established that everyone can recognize and expect great quality from its clothing, especially its fashionable jackets. Considering that Calvin Klein initially sells blazers, it is unsurprising that Calvin Klein designs sophisticated blazers that are both stylish and sleek at the same time as it has the experience and expertise of making great blazers.
- Hugo Boss: As one of the trusted brands in luxury clothes, Hugo Boss crafts blazers that you can wear with pride and joy. If you are looking for powerful yet charming blazers, Hugo Boss will be suitable for you.
- Tommy Hilfiger: Synonymous with the preppy style, it takes Tommy Hilfiger in redefining its meaning in the fashion world. As a result, Tommy Hilfiger blazers have been considered to be the embodiment of both classic and casual at the same time.
- Ralph Lauren: Making its own name with its fashionable jackets, Ralph Lauren is another reputable brand in making stylish blazers. This can be seen in its signature houndstooth blazers that set the trend in the fashion world.
Just follow these few useful tips when picking out a blazer and have fun shopping online at iprice Malaysia.